GCHS Museum & Mission
“To promote an appreciation of Greene County History through the preservation and interpretation of local artifacts and stories in order to educate the public and future generations through a narrative of the rich heritage of Greene County and its surrounding areas.”
The Greene County Historical Society and Museum continues to be a self-supporting, non-profit organization that has served as the caretaker of local written and physical histories since 1925. We maintain a historic 52-room museum at the former Greene Hills Poor Farm, as well as a restored cabin, an agricultural barn, a print house and a railroad house on 17 acres of land.
The Greene County Historical Society represents every citizen of Greene County and its surrounding areas. Our responsibility is to preserve the wonderful stories of our forefathers and maintain the artifacts of our shared history to educate generations to come. Keeping up with this philosophy, we have a variety of historical and cultural events that celebrate the common culture and heritage of our communities throughout the summer and autumn that are open to all.
Board of Directors
President: Candace Tustin
Vice President: Marshall Simmons
Secretary: Joyce Winters
Treasurer: Deborah Wilson
Additional Members of the Board
The Greene County Historical Society...
In 1923, Waynesburg College professor Andrew Jackson Waychoff petitioned the people of Greene County to develop a Historical Society. The John Corbly Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution officially passed a resolution to support the formation of a society. The formation was delayed however due to a fundraiser by the college in 1924 and the idea was put on hold...
On September 19th1925, J. W. Ray, the President Judge of Greene County decreed a certificate of incorporation for the Greene County Historical Society and at last, Professor Waychoff’s dream became a reality. The original mission of the Greene County Historical Society was "collecting and preserving books, papers, records, writings and relics, legal, civil, military and otherwise, relating to the history of Greene County, Pennsylvania and adjacent counties." On October 5th 1925, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania accepted the name of "Greene County Historical Society" and was awarded an official Certificate of Incorporation on November 15th 1925.
At first, the Greene County Historical Society was housed in one room in the basement of the then recently built Long Building. As the collections grew, the Historical Society purchased an adjoining room in 1956 to use as a library and board room and even stored some artifacts and archives at board member homes... It soon became apparent that the Greene County Historical Society needed a permanent home.
Levi Funk, a member of the first board, donated a lot for the building of a proper home for the Historical Society. But due to complications and funding, the site was sold and the money saved for the purchase of a future site. In 1969, the Greene County Home was condemned and deemed unfit as a home for the indigent... The members of the Board of the Greene County Historical Society saw this as the long awaited opportunity to secure a location for the historical society.
County commissioners, Herman Guglietta, Harold Russell, and Stanley Smith supported the idea of finding a site for the Historical Society and offer an annual lease for $1.00 for fifty years and renewable at the same rate after the first fifty years. The Greene County Historical Society had finally found a residence but it was in great need of repair and restoration... In November of 1970, the Society opened the library which was the former boiler house and in June of 1971, the museum was opened to the public.
Since its incorporation in 1925, The Greene County Historical Society has strived to fulfill its mission to collect, preserve and interpret the history of Greene County. GCHS has achieved its mission when, in 1971, it found a permanent home at the former Greene Hills Poor Farm... Now, GCHS maintains a 52 room museum with over a thousand artifacts that represent all aspects of Greene County and surrounding areas history and culture.
918 Rolling Meadows Road
Waynesburg, PA 15370
Chldren 6-12 & Seniors(60+): $5
Children Under 6
& Members: Free
November 1-April 21 2018
Open by Appointment Only
April 21- October 31 2018
Tuesday Through Saturday
10:00am - 3:00pm